Liposuction is done to reduce the amount of fat in a certain area of body ( abdomen, flanks, waist). When trying to figure out options for liposuction There are some things to consider and I will go over them in the blog series one by one.
Question 1: Have liposuction in the office / clinic setting or in a surgical center / hospital
Answer: Liposuction done in the surgical center or the hospital is generally done under conscious sedation or general anesthesia. This means that patient is “sedated, under conscious sedation, under general anesthesia or going under ” in addition to having local anesthesia in the area liposuction will be performed. Besides the sedation there is no real reason to have liposuction done in a surgical suite or hospital. Liposuction done in the surgical center or the hospital done under conscious sedation or general anesthesia carries a higher risk of complications and injury. Doing liposuction in the office under local anesthesia without conscious sedation is safer and as effective for most patients. These are the following points to consider:
1. When the patient is awake and alert it is safer because if the doctor was to hit the belly wall the patient will complain of pain. If the patient is sedated than an inexperienced doctor can be doing a liver bipsy and the patient wont know.
2. Patients after liposuction in the clinic can get up and go home after liposuction. Patient having liposuction in the hospital or under conscious sedation have to wait for 2-3 hours for the sedation to subside before they can go home.
3. Lidocaine toxicity can cause nausea, lidocaine is used in the tumescent technique and in any liposuction procedure. This can be confusing because conscious edition can also cause nausea. This makes it difficult to assess if the patient is having nausea because of lidocaine overdose ( which can be life threatening versus the conscious sedation or general anesthesia.
3. Doing liposuction under local anesthesia is gentler than under conscious sedation (as done in the surgical center or the hospital) because the recovery is quicker and less traumatic
4. When Liposuction is done under local anesthesia the patient is able to tell if they are in discomfort before discharge. That may not be the case if Liposuction is done under Conscious sedation or general anesthesia.
At metro vein and cosmetic surgery we perform all liposuction and vein procedures under local anesthesia. This technique of tumescent anesthesia used in Minneapolis area was started by Dr Klein. Dr Klein personally trained Dr Afzal.